When thinking about the care of your floor, many things will come to mind. Some important aspects are choosing durable flooring for your space, maintaining that floor properly, and cleaning it.
Here, we’ll discuss the best ways to keep flawless floors on a budget.
Best Methods To Keep Your Floors In Good Shape
First, let’s talk about what you need to clean your floors.
Some basic tools needed are a broom or vacuum cleaner for dusting and cleaning up small debris, a mop for washing floors with water or sweeping fluids that have already been spilled on the floor, and a dry towel for absorbing excess water.
Now that you have everything needed to clean your floors, here are some additional things you may find helpful when caring for floors:
- Furniture Dolly: This tool will allow you to move big pieces of furniture without lifting or straining yourself. If something falls on the floor and causes damage, this dolly will allow you to take the furniture away and repair the spot.
- Carpet Protection Pads: If you have hardwood or laminate flooring, using these pads under your appliances will prevent any damage caused by items being dragged across the floor.
- Blankets/Towels: Keeping a few blankets and towels under furniture will help you have a quick solution if anything spills or overflows.
Consider Your Flooring Material
When determining the best ways to care for your floor, you must consider what type of floor you have. It is important because different floors require different types of treatments. For example, natural wood floors need only occasional polishing. If they are not polished regularly, their appearance can become dull.
- Ceramic Tile Floors: This floor is very low-maintenance and does not need sealant or wax. Ceramic can be swept with a broom or vacuum cleaner to remove any dust on the floor.
- Stone Flooring: Stone floors are easy to clean with water and a mop. Ensure you do not use acidic cleaners on these floors because they could get damaged over time.
- Carpeting: If you have a carpet, it will need to be cleaned frequently and vacuumed or swept daily to prevent dirt build-up. If you spill something, clean up the liquid immediately to avoid staining.
Mark A Boundary For Each Floor
Now, it’s time to determine where you should keep each type of material.
There will usually be a single space in a room dedicated entirely to specific types of flooring. For example, you may choose to put all hardwood floors together and keep them away from carpet. You will not often need to move any furniture, so there is no reason to mix these types of floors.
Where Should Your Wood Floor Be?
Let’s talk about its maintenance and care. The first thing to understand is the difference between a floor that needs sealant and one that does not.
- Sealant: This type of coating will help protect your floor from moisture damage and staining. Keeping a hardwood floor sealed will prevent any accidents from causing expensive repairs. Experts recommend applying it every 2 – 5 years, depending on how often the floor is used.
- No sealant: If you do not want to apply a protective layer of sealant, you may choose to apply wax or oil onto your flooring instead. This choice will make it easier to clean up spills and prevent moisture damage. Wax should be applied every 2 – 3 years, while oil can be applied every 1 – 3 years.
Sealing vs. Waxing
There are some common misconceptions about the difference between sealing and waxing a floor, which is another factor that can determine how often your floors need to be serviced.
Wax will keep your wood shiny by creating a new protective coating every time you apply it. And sealing works by replacing the old sealant with a new one when it starts to wear off.
Follow These Steps To Keep Your Floors Well-Maintained And Extend Their Lifespan
- Sweep or vacuum regularly to remove dust and dirt from floors
- Keep a few blankets under furniture in case something spills
- Move any heavy items like furniture and appliances back to their original locations after cleaning
- Wipe spills immediately with a clean towel or cloth
- Use high-quality floor cleaner on your wood floors at least once per week
- Get the carpet professionally cleaned if necessary (usually every 3 – 12 months)
Get Professional Assistance When Needed With Titan Garage Flooring Solutions
If you require professional flooring services in Atlanta at Titan Garage Flooring Solutions, we got you covered. Contact us today to set an appointment with our experts.